Senior Economist, Bloomington, Illinois. 2004-present. Providing the following services in the Commodities Division of the state headquarters:
- Economic analysis to the association’s in-house experts, to develop policy positions on national policy and regulations.
- Expert opinion on, value-added agriculture, cooperative business development, county economic development, food prices, economic consequences of animal care, biofuels policy, and farm income analysis to media and comment to Congress.
- Technical expertise in developing the association’s goals and policy on renewable fuels. Written technical responses to support the association’s policy and advocacy positions on biofuels legislation.
- Reporting to internal and external advisory committees on topics such as: trade economics, outlook on transportation economics, distribution of profitability of commodity producers (feed grains and oilseeds), and livestock.
- Presenting analysis and outlooks at state conferences, plenary sessions and workshops on long-term US soybean market demand, world agriculture, farm financial structure, ethanol and biodiesel fuels markets, food prices, supply and demand outlooks, ethanol co-product markets, farm income.
Additional Work Experience
USDA-RD State Office and USDA Program Management 1991 – 2004. Responsibilities included: Working with business startups to educate them on grant eligibility criteria, analyzing and interpreting data to meet specific program goals, evaluating grant proposals and evaluating the business development outcomes of the program, over four states (NC/SC, then IL/IN)
- Research Associate, Department of Economics, North Carolina State University, 1990-1991. Subject area: analysis of inputs and tillage methods nexus with soil conservation and water pollution indexes.
- Specialized Extension Agent, North Carolina Extension Service, NCSU, 1986-1989. Developed 4-county program for specialty crop, row crop, and livestock producers covering adult education and farm advisory service for marketing and farm financial management.
- M.S., Agricultural Economics, Clemson University, 1984-87. Emphasis in farm policy, international trade, developmental economics.
- B.S., Economics, Illinois State University, 1982-84. Area of emphasis: Developmental Economics.